XI.---Rubiaceae. Madder Family.
285. Galium boreale, L. Northern Bedstraw (Reeks).
286. G. asprellum, Mx. Rough Bedstraw. Whitbourne (Robinson and Schrenk); Bay Bull’s Arm (Trinity Bay) and Shoal Point, B. of I. (A.C.W.---Macoun and Fowler); (Reeks). Woods and moist ground. August.
287. G. trifidum, Mx. Small Bedstraw. In the Bay of Islands, collected by myself, at Riverhead (Fowler), and Lark Harbour (Robinson), Benton, Bonavista Bay (Fowler); several places in Trinity Bay, and Topsail in Conception Bay (Fowler and Macoun). Wayside and wet places. August. Lab: Hopedale (Weiz-Packard); Forteau (A.C.W.---Eaton). August.
Var. pusillum, Gray. Sunny banks, Whibourne (Robinson and Schrenk); White Bay or Ferryland (Revd. R. Temple---Fowler). Lab: Forteau (A.C.W.---Fowler and Butler). June and July.
Var. tinctorium, T. & G. (Cat. II., 201).
Var. latifolium, Torr. Open woods, S. John’s (Robinson and Schrenk). August.
288. G. Aparine, L. Goosegrass. Middle Arm, B. of I. (A.C.W.---Fowler). Woods. July.
289. G. triflorum, Mx. Three-flowered Galium. Near confluence of Exploits and Badger’s River (Robinson and Schrenk); New Harbour, Trinity Bay (Macoun); and Wild Cove (Fowler), and Chimney Cove (Trelease). Woods. July. Lab: Capstan Island (A.C.W.---Eaton). Open woods. July.
290. G. Mollugo, L. Narrow-leaved Bedstraw. S. John’s (Robinson and Schrenk). Ploughed ground. August.
291. G. palustre, L. var. minus, Lge. Lab: Long Point, Hamilton Island (A.C.W.---Macoun), (C.H. Geo. S. of C., IV. 202).
292. Mitchella repens, L. Partridge berry. (Reeks); Flat Bay Brook (Bell). Flora Miq., found near stream Bibite, in damp ground, in August. Sought after by the partridges of the island.
*The “Joint-wood Berry” and “White-wood Berry” of Newfoundland, must, I think, be this, or one of this genus.