The Honourable Thomas Talbot was one of the prominent and influential men of late 19th century Newfoundland and Labrador. He was involved in the politics and government from the 1850’s until nearly the turn of the century and had a significant voice in issues such as confederacy, education and the French shore. Many of the details of his life that survive come from his own writings, especially an essay he wrote in 1882 entitled Newfoundland; or, A letter addressed to a friend in Ireland in relation to the condition and circumstances of the island of Newfoundland, with an especial view to emigration. At the time of his death in 1901 his age is given as anywhere from 83 to 90.¹ His headstone which can be found in Belvedere Cemetery, St. John’s, attests, in Latin, to him being a “most worthy man, Thomas Talbot a native of Ireland, inhabitant of Newfoundland student of the fine arts, client of the muses, first he gave his talents to the education of youth then having entered the Parliament of his country he adorned it by his eloquence, helped it by his prudence in the management of public affairs, he was a wise counsellor of his private estate, a prudent manager his vast fortune frugally husbanded, he nobly distributed for the encouragement of education, the sustaining of religion, the relief of the poor he died on the 26th of March 1901 aged about 85 years, In the hope of everlasting life.²
Born in County Kilkenny, possibly Ooning ³, Talbot experimented with religious or literary life, medicine and teaching4 before arriving in Newfoundland and Labrador after “a thirty day journey” in May of 18375, apparently having been summoned by his father6. After a week in St. John’s he made his way to Harbour Grace where his father William (d. 28 April 18737), retired from the fisheries, had a farm. Thomas spent the summer fishing and farming. In December 1837 he started to tutor. The newspapers of the time carry many advertisements of the services he offered8. Interest in education was to last through his life time. He was instrumental in the setting up of the grammar schools at Harbour Grace and Carbonear, tutored the children of men such as Sir Francis Brady (1847-48), Chief Justice of Newfoundland, and George Henry Emerson and served on the Education Committee of the Legislative Council9.
Talbot says he wrote for the newspapers of the Harbour Grace and Carbonear area. Unfortunately most of the articles in the surviving newspapers of the period are unsigned or use a pseudonym making it is impossible to definitively trace his works. For example, there are a series of letters written by one Larry O’Gaff which is possibly a pseudonym for Talbot. Larry O’Gaff is the name of an Irish jig and O’Gaff is not a name listed in Seary’s Family Names of Newfoundland. In addition some of these articles are on the subject of education and are interspersed with classical quotations, not unlike some of Talbot’s writings. Also, for example, the issues of Nov. 21 and Dec. 12, 1838 of the Star and Conception Bay Journal both have editorials on education from unidentified authors.
In the early 1840s Thomas relocated to St. John’s ostensibly to study for the bar10. However, he found it was not to his liking given the long course of study, which did not recognize his previous education, and the promise of limited financial rewards once a person started to practice. He became a professor at the non-denominational St. John’s Academy (Castle Rennie) upon its establishment in 184411. Then in 1857 he applied to St. Bonaventure College, although he was not offered a job there until 186112.
In 1859 Talbot ran unsuccessfully for election13. This was not his first foray or expression of interest in public life. He was House recorder in 1853 – and in his own words “ I was first who introduced the practice of taking down speeches in shorthand, and of reporting debates in full.14 The reporting was done in Talbot’s own newspaper, the Reporter. He also edited the Record. After his election in 1861 as representative of St. John’s West, Talbot’s activities and speeches can be traced in the proceedings of the House of Assembly and Legislative Council and sometimes the local newspapers. He was a major supporter of C.F. Bennett and the campaign against Confederation. The Morning Chronicle contains a series of articles he wrote which no doubt were instrumental in swaying the public to the anti-confederate point of view15. Under Bennett Talbot became a member of the cabinet without a portfolio and then in 1870 he was appointed to the Legislative Council. In 1872 he was appointed sheriff of the central district, a position he retired from in 189816. Throughout he retained his ties with the College and acted as one of its directors17. Thus after the great fire of 1892, when Talbot lost his home, he took up residence at the College until his death in 1901.18 Besides bequests for Bride Vinnicombe and for masses for his soul, Talbot left his monies to the Roman Catholic Church for its upkeep, its charities and the furtherance of education. For example, his monies helped to build the Talbot Memorial Wing at Littledale and provided for annual “bourses” to pay for the education of two students there.19
Information provided above is taken from Talbot (1882) and the additional sources noted below.
1. The Evening Herald (1901) gives his age as 83, Howley (1901) as circa 85, and the Evening Telegram (1901) as either over 87 or 90.
2. This inscription is written in the hand and on the stationary of Bishop Michael Francis Howley (Archives of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John’s)
3. Both Shortis (1889) and Howley (1901) give Talbot’s place of birth as Ireland. His father was a native of County Kilkenny and a letter in the Bascilica Archives gives Thomas’ parish at the time of writing (March 7, 1834) as Ooning.
4. Shortis (1889), Talbot (1882) and Talbot (Sentinel: Oct. 1839)
5. According to the Royal Gazette (May 30, 1837) the Three Sisters out of Waterford (Burke, master) arrived in St. John’s on May 25. It is the only ship out of Ireland to enter St. John’s harbour around the time period given by Talbot’s “30 day journey”.
6. Shortis (1889).
7. Crosbie (2004). Interestingly enough Crosbie also lists other Talbots,some of whom resided in the Conception Bay area, but I was not able to establish any familial connection with Thomas Talbot at the time of writing this piece. Talbot’s letter of March 7, 1834 (Archives of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John’s) mentions an Aunt Whitty but she may have resided in Ireland. However, it appears as he neared the end of his life, Talbot had no acknowledged relatives. (Slattery as quoted in Darcy (1999))
8. For example, newspaper advertisements for Talbot’s school or tutoring services can be found in the Sentinel and Conception Bay Advertiser for Nov. 29, 1838 (p.3, c.2) , Nov. 12, 1839, Dec. 3, 1839 (p.3, c.2) and Nov. 12, 1840.
9. Evening Telegram (1901). The Sentinel of June 18, 1839 has a letter by Talbot where he puts forth his name for mastership of the grammar school in Carbonear. Journal of the Legislative Council (1873). Shortis (1889)
10. Riggs (2000) suggests that Talbot may have studied with the Archibalds.
11. Shortis (1889). Evening Telegram (1901: March 27)
12. Letter of March 23, 1857 in Archives of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John’s. He taught at St. Bon’s for over ten years.
13. Talbot’s father, William, had retired due to failing eyesight from politics around the same time. William Talbot’s note of death in the May 7, 1873 issue of the Harbor Grace Standard states he was M.H.A. for twelve years. He represented Conception Bay in 1852 (Journal of the House of Assembly 1852) and Harbour Main in 1855 (Journal of the House of Assembly 1855). He was not listed in the members in 1843 or 1848. Note sometimes the historical record attributes the 1852 and 1855 elections to Thomas, not William. William apparently had spent 59 years in NL. The latter is corroborated by his own advert for election where he states as of the 1850’s he was “nearly forty years in the Fisheries and Agriculture of the Country” (Pilot Oct. 16, 1852 p. 4 c. 1 signed William Talbot)
14. Talbot (1882, p. 39)
15. Morning Chronicle (1869)
16. Evening Herald (1901); Yearbook (1896) still lists Talbot as sheriff. Interestedly Talbot, according to the Journals of the Legislative Council, still attended sessions in 1899 and 1900.
17. In the Great Fire of 1892, Talbot lost his home. “Among these fugitives is the Sheriff of the City, an old gentleman named Talbot. [He was on the Board of Governors of the College.] About 30 years ago he was professor here under Dr. Mullock and like the hunted hare of goldsmith he returns again to the old spot--- He had no friends, no relatives, no one; he would like to remain with us and die here, above all to be buried from the College” (quoted in Fair or Foul the Weather by Br. J.B. Darcy, p. 41—Brother Slattery acceded to Mr. Talbot’s request and the latter remained at the College until his death nine years later at the age of ninety. p. 41). Adelphian (1893/94, 1899)
18. Talbot had a recorded brush with death previous to 1901 in 1894: Slattery to Whitty St. Bonaventure’s College St. John’s, N.F. May 7, 1894 Excerpt of letter #283 Poor Mr. Talbot was anointed last night. I fear he wont get over his present attack. The stomach refuses its work. We shall all be very lonely when he is gone. Though a little fond of money—or rather he has but little inclination to spend it—he is the soul of gentlemanly conduct, a most enjoyable companion and a very mine of anecdote and story. (Slattery letters, Christian Brothers Archives) Will (Archives of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John’s)
19. Hogan (1986, p. 222-224) and Archives of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John’s
Queen Elizabeth II Library
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL